The problem is that the sharp wire bristles are coming off the brushes and lodging in people’s throats and doctors have yet to find an effective way of removing them.
The sharp wires can come off the brushes and stick to a barbecue’s grills and then transfer to food without being noticed. If the wires are swallowed they can damage the throat and the epiglottis (the cartilage that covers the windpipe), CBC News reports.
“It’s a needle in a haystack, but the haystack is your tongue,” said Dr. Ian Dempsey, an otolaryngologist in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. “It’s not an easy structure to go fishing around in, especially when it gets embedded in deeply.”
See what doctors and manufactures are doing to help fight this issue by flipping over the the next page…