Share on Facebook


Hospital Warns Of Children Ingesting Small Batteries

By Karly Carpena
January 9, 2016

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 4.39.48 PM

Brianna Florer, 2, had been feeling unwell for a few days, including throwing up blood and turning blue. She was taken to a hospital in Tulsa where she underwent emergency surgery to try and remove a small button battery she had ingested.

The video below, by Dayton’s Children’s hospital, demonstrates the effects a small button battery can do to your body once ingested.

“If it gets lodged anywhere and comes into contact with the lining of the food pipe, than it starts a corrosive action,” Dr. Ravi Elluru told WKEF.

Serious damage can occur in as little as two hours, according to the video. This damage could lead to further problems. “Infections can spread very rapidly from the food pipe to your chest, which can become a life threatening situation,” Elluru said to WKEF.

Parents are encouraged to use caution when purchasing toys and make sure to secure battery cases so a child cannot get into them. Additionally, parents should watch for refusal to eat and trouble breathing as possible signs that the child swallowed a battery, according to WKEF.

Want More Life Hacks & Tips? LIKE us on Facebook!

Already do