Share on Facebook


Rescuers found an abused dog covered in two pounds of fur and filth, makes amazing transformation

By Karly Carpena
November 23, 2016


On July 13th, the Trio Animal Foundation went to pick up an abandoned dog that was soaked in urine and had matted fur. They we couldn’t even figure out if the dog was a male or female. When they first saw this dog in it’s cage, they didn’t know which end was front or back. The dog was in such bad condition that they had to get a treat to see which end lifted up to sniff.


Flies and gnats swarmed around the pup on what appeared to be the dog’s back legs. As it turned out, the dog had two very petite legs hidden underneath all the knotted fur and the outer appendages were just matted fur and debris. The fur on the front legs had already started to rip out by the root, it was just too heavy and knotted to hold on.


Kelli, a veteran groomer at Mutt Hutt, agreed to come in to see what she could do to help. Without Kelli’s generous offer, they are not sure what they would have done. The amount of grooming tools that she had to use to break through the hard shell of fur was unbelievable.


Within the first ten minutes they found out that the matted pup was a girl which has now been named Ellen. For the next hour and a half, Kelli quickly worked to shave the heavy casing of fur away from Ellen’s body. Even though they had to pull out fur that had grown 2 inches down Ellen’s ear canal and shave matted fur away from her irritated paper-thin skin, never once did Ellen growl or show her teeth.


When it came time to shave the matted fur that had tightly wrapped its way around Ellen’s raw legs like a snug boot, Ellen actually looked up at the rescuer and started to give her kisses. Even better, it was the first time that she could feel the touch of a person’s hand on her newly shaven back. Her past abuse was literally being shaved away. In fact, 2 POUNDS of fur was shaved away!


Once almost all of Ellen’s fur was shaved off, she was given a bath and then one more trim so that no nook went untouched. They then took a walk upstairs and bought her a new collar, harness, leash and a few toys.


From there, the dog went to the vet and went through some tests and received her vaccinations. Today she is a happy, healthy, and adorable girl with the biggest heart!