Sandra was at home cleaning the house, kissing her children, making them lunches, but she never imagined the effect it would have on her newborn child.
Sandra had a perfectly normal birth at the hospital. However, 2 days later, the doctors told her that they needed to run some tests on the child, because he had microcephaly and petechiae on his face.
It turns out that her sone has cerebral palsy. At first, doctors were in shock because they could not find any reason why this happened. But after further investigation, it turns out she was infected with a virus called cytomegalovirus.
Not losing hope, a paediatrician from La Paz Hospital in Madrid, told her: “your child will go as far as you want him to”. Her son is now able to recognize his parents and lives a normal life. He can even lift his arm now.
Sandra now wants to inform other moms of the potential dangers of the virus.
Half of all pregnant women are infected with this virus before pregnancy, and therefore, the risks of being infected again are minimal. The problem is when women have it for the first time during their pregnancy. “You can learn about this through a simple test, which is not currently mandatory in Spain, but I would suggest it to be” adds Sandra.
This virus can be passed on through contact with children. Therefore, it is important to wash your hands after changing diapers, cleaning the childs nose or picking up toys. It is important not to kiss children on the lips, and not to share food, glasses, cups, forks or other utensils with small children or people who could be infected with the virus, advised Sandra.
“You realise how lucky I am for having my son Gonzalito. He is the star of our lives“ tells Sandra.