There’s a lesser-known disease that most pet owners don’t even know about called Leptospirosis that can be transmitted through water and be a silent killer for your dog.
In Florida, a woman named Sherri Monaco was shocked when she learned that her dog, Nija, contracted Leptospirosis from a canal near her home. She noticed that Nija’s eyes started to turn yellow and she wasn’t eating, so she brought her to the pet hospital where she was diagnosed. Unfortunately for Nija, they caught the disease too late and they were unable to treat her.
This life-threatening disease is carried in the bodies of wild animals and livestock, such as skunks and rats. Dogs can contract the disease from drinking water from streams, puddles and ponds that contain urine of infected animals. The bacteria can cause organ failure by attacking the liver and kidneys and it can even be transmitted to humans.
Symptoms can include vomiting, lethargy, fever, increased urination and abdominal pain. There are vaccinations for this disease that you can get from your veterinarian, but the vaccine itself could also be very dangerous to your animals, so make sure to use caution and talk to your vet about all of the side effects.
Learn more about this deadly disease in the video below and SHARE with your friends and family on Facebook to make sure they’re aware of it.