Matthew Kirk’s parents had just returned home from Menorca in the Mediteranean when they noticed that his mosquito bite was getting worse. The area around the bite continued to swell and over the next few days until a family friend said that he needed to see a doctor ASAP.
At first, the doctor though it was a bacterial infection caused by the bite, but the bump in his nostril continued to get larger and larger.
So, off to the doctor Matthew and his parents went. At first, doctors thought it was a bacterial infection. “…it was only when a friend made a comment about his swollen nostril that we thought it could be something worse,” his mom Joanna told Caters News.
After testing the lump further, doctors find out that it was a deadly tumor – known as Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma — an rare cancerous tumor that only affects 10 people every year. His parents were shocked because their child was so healthy.
Matthew was transferred to a specialist in Oklahoma for an intensive nine-week treatment plan that uses proton beam therapy. The rounds of chemotherapy left Matthew’s face burnt and peeling, but fortunately for him the treatment was working.
Today, Matthew is officially in remission and is expected to make a full recovery! Please SHARE Matthew’s story with your friends on Facebook, and help spread awareness about early detection.
Source: Carter News Agency