Kyle and Monique Ruppel recently had a baby girl named Celia, who (like any other baby) often wakes them up in the middle of the night. Usually they just rock her back to sleep or change her diaper. But in this case, Celia ended up saving their live’s!
One night, Celia was crying profusely so Kyle and Monique got up to check on her. Moments later, they felt extremely dizzy and their eyes were burning. Both had no idea what was going on at the time, but it turns out that they were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Monique writes about her experience on Facebook:
This precious little angel did something extraordinary. Something she will not fully understand until she is grown. She literally saved our lives.
Celia typically wakes once per night. We always get up with her and help her back to sleep. On Friday at 3 am she stirred for the second time. I attempted to make my way to her room but only made it a few feet before being completely overwhelmed with vertigo. Kyle immediately woke and we quickly realized something was wrong. We both suffered from dizziness, headache, nausea, and burning eyes. We packed a bag and woke Celia. She began vomiting and as I held her my cat collapsed at my feet. Luckily Kyle’s parents arrived to help right before he collapsed. He came to right away and 911 was called. We were all taken to the hospital.
We were promptly treated for Carbon monoxide poisoning by wonderful doctors and nurses. They took every precaution and air lifted us to Vancouver for treatment. We underwent 3, 2.5 hour dives in a Hyperbaric Chamber. We are all feeling very well and expected to make a full recovery.
The support we have received this weekend has been incredible. We thank all our friends and family for helping us through.
Please ensure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector and that it works. We are so thankful Celia woke us. We often wished she would sleep through the night but we do not feel that way any more. Our sweet sweet baby saved us all.